Things To Be Grateful For

Even though the weather so far this Spring in the UK has been pretty dire, we do have some things to be grateful for.

It's been pretty dismal so far this year in many ways, with a full lockdown due to Covid from Christmas up to a few weeks ago, so we couldn't go anywhere even if we wanted to. Then the weather has been cold, wet and windy, so we had no desire to go out either.

However, even though this year hasn't been a great one so far for the weather, I for one am really grateful that this time last year we had exceptional weather for a long period of time.

As the Covid restrictions were beginning in the UK towards the end of March 2020 and people were starting to work from home, I was shocked to hear that I was being placed on furlough as from 1st April.

My first reaction was shock and horror, but it didn't take me too long to realise that even though I was on 80% of my salary we were financially secure, for a while at least and with the weather by the beginning of April already being practically perfect, I was exceptionally lucky.

I ended up being on furlough until the last week of May, so almost 2 months, during which I did more work in the garden that I would normally manage in the whole Spring and Summer. With the weather being glorious for weeks and weeks on end, I also managed to spend a lot of time in the garden relaxing, reading a number of books and having a few barbecues.

Although at the time I was worried about when I would be going back to work and also whether that was an "if", I was fairly relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the break from my normal routine.

Thinking back now, if the weather had been as bad this time last year as it has been this year, what a miserable and depressing Spring it would have been.

Right now we are looking forward to some nice weather as Summer approaches, since it seems that almost every weekend so far the weather has gone downhill and it's been wet and windy. Well not much wind today, but frequent showers, some of them really heavy.

So, how is your year going so far? Do you have any plans for the Summer? Have you managed to get out and enjoy some time in the country already this year? Do you have plans to try and spend some time abroad later this year? Please leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you.


Comments